Today we’re taking our series “In the Kitchen” to the grill! My neighbor introduced me to making grilled pizzas this summer and they were so delish and easy, I had to share!
As you may already know from this post, I love making pizza! Typically in the colder months, I make pizza almost every week, it is easy, fast, affordable and so, so good! Grilled pizza has a crunchy, flaky crust that bites into a fluffy center – to die for!
I was a bit hesitant to take my skills to the grill – in my mind I had made it out to be much harder than it actually was. Let me tell you, it was easier and tastier than I could have imagined! Let’s do this!
4 Tbs. Olive Oil
Pizza dough (I use 1 lb. of store-bought dough from the fridge section)
1 small can of tomato sauce (I use San Marzano, if available. Regular sauce is great, too)
1 package Mozzarella (I use part-skim, whatever you prefer)
1/4 Deli Sliced Pepperoni
Additional Toppings (your preference)
What You’ll Need
Pastry Brush (the back of a spoon is fine also)
Let’s Do This
1. Roll out dough and using the pastry brush, cover with 2 Tbs. olive oil (can use more as desired). TIP: I roll my dough out onto a cutting board for easy transfer. In the meantime, heat the grill to high heat with the cover closed.
2. Once grill is heated, transfer the dough oil side down onto the grates of the grill, close lid. Allow dough to cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until grill side is golden brown. In the meantime, cover the upside of the dough with the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil.
3. Once grill side of dough is golden, using the tongs in one hand and sptula in the other, carefully flip the dough. Cook for 3-4 minutes until golden. Once golden, flip back to original side facing up.
4. At this point, you will want to add your toppings. I like to keep it simple and only use pepperoni. I think close the lid for 1-2 minutes.
5. Once the pepperoni looks slightly cooked, I then turn the heat to low and add the cheese and cover the entire pizza. Close the lid and allow the cheese to melt for 2-3 minutes. If you feel like your dough is burning, remove the pizza sooner.
6. Once the cheese has melted, carefully transfer the pizza back to the cutting board. Slice and Enjoy!
Have you ever tried grilling pizza? What are some of your favorite toppings?
P.S. My oven pizza here!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Jaimie is an East Coast Lifestyle Blogger.