Let me start out by saying that I am not a lifestyle expert. With that being said, I have picked up some small tips along the way that make each day just that much better. I went back and forth whether I should shares these tips with you pre or post-Thanksgiving indulgence, and decided to do it post-TGiving to start a fresh new week with these 6 tips for a healthier lifestyle.
Try one or two, or maybe even all six – whatever is best for you!
Let’s get started…
1. Start a Gratitude Journal. Now I know this one might sound daunting, but hear me out. I truly believe that there is no better way of thinking than the “attitude of gratitude.” Writing down 3 things you are grateful for each night before you go to bed is a great way to really appreciate the small things. Getting as granular as having milk in the fridge for my homemade coffee or catching the train on time are all small daily occurrences that we really can take for granted if we don’t take a minute to appreciate the small stuff! Gratitude, it goes a long way. ( I love this journal, this one and this one.)
2. Get Outside//Take the Dog for a Long Walk. As the days get shorter and cooler, it’s so easy to run outside and take the dog for a quick walk and rush back in, or just not want to be outside in general. Try taking the dog (if you have one!) for the longer walk, breathe in the fresh air and get some exercise outside. I guarantee you’ll feel better, and your pup will thank you for it! If you don’t have a dog, take the longer walk to the office or go outside to grab your lunch, the fresh air will do you such good!
3. Sleep! I know this one is tough for a lot of people, but try your best to make it a priority to get your 8 hours of sleep in every night. If that means putting your phone down 30 minutes sooner or getting your lunch and outfit ready the night before so you can sleep 30 minutes longer, do it! Guaranteed you will feel more refreshed and happier in the morning.
4. Skip the Caffeine. I love, love waking up and having a cup of coffee. It’s part of my routine and it’s definitely a non-negotiable. But then that’s it. I not only stopped drinking caffeine before 3PM a long time ago, but I try to limit my caffeine intake to my one coffee in the morning and then if I still need something, I will pour myself a hot caffeine free tea (I love our new tea kettle! and can’t get enough of this tea brand). I’m definitely a person with a lot of natural energy, but having too much caffeine makes me jittery and anxious, so I prefer to cut it down as early in the day as possible so that it doesn’t affect my sleep.
5. Treat yourself. Small indulgences like a nice face mask or treating yourself to an afternoon latte are the little things that go a long way for your well-being. I shared with you my favorite face masks here, and also love this Garnier Sheet Mask I just recently tried and it made my skin feel amazing.
6. Move. I know this might be a given and similar to tip #2, but moving your body and getting exercise are so important to not only weight loss, but for your mind. A quick visit to the gym and breaking a sweat can do wonders for how you feel. I love going in the morning and setting the tone for the rest of my day, knowing I’ve already accomplished something before going into the office, and also knowing it’s not waiting for me on the other end of the work day. (The perfect sneakers, water bottle and leggings will motivate you to get up and go!)
What do you do to feel healthier and happier? I’d love to know in the comments below!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: THE 10 BEST DRUGSTORE BEAUTY PRODUCTS UNDER $10